New Legislation Seeks to Narrow Stark Law Exceptions for Certain Complex Non-Ancillary ServicesApril 30, 2019
HHS Announces Extended Comment Period for Healthcare Interoperability Proposed Rules, Releases New HIPAA FAQsApril 30, 2019
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is expanding the types of durable medical equipment (DME), prosthetic, orthotics, supplies (DMEPOS) that are subject to Medicare prior authorization requirements on the basis of being “frequently subject to unnecessary utilization.” Specifically, CMS announced that it is adding to the Required Prior Authorization List:
- Seven power wheelchair codes (K0857, K0858, K0859, K0860, K0862. K0863, and K0864), effective July 22, 2019.
- Five support surface codes (E0193, E0277, E0371. E0372.and E0373), to be implemented in two phases to allow CMS “to identity and resolve any unforeseen issues. . . before nationwide implementation.” During phase one, which begins July 22, CMS will limit the prior authorization requirement to one state in each of the DME Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) jurisdictions, as follows: California, Indiana, New Jersey, and North Carolina. In phase two, which begins October 21, CMS will expand the program to the remaining states.
Separately, CMS announced that it is adding the following items to its “Master List of Items Frequently Subject to Unnecessary Utilization”:
- E1390 Oxygen concentrator, single delivery port, capable of delivering 85 percent or greater oxygen concentration at the prescribed flow rate
- E0466 Home ventilator, any type, used with non-invasive interface, (e.g., mask, chest shell)
- E0784 External Ambulatory infusion pump, insulin
- L0650 Lumbar-sacral orthosis, sagittal-coronal control, with rigid anterior and posterior frame/panel(s), posterior extends from sacrococcygeal junction to T-9 vertebra, lateral strength provided by rigid lateral frame/panel(s), produces intracavitary pressure to reduce load on intervertebral discs, includes straps, closures, may include padding, shoulder straps, pendulous abdomen design, prefabricated, off-the-shelf
Note that an item’s inclusion on the Master List does not automatically require prior authorization of the item, but CMS could subject any items on this list to prior authorization in the future. For additional information, see the CMS DMEPOS prior authorization web page.
Read the Federal Register notice here: Federal Register Notice