Thank you for your interest in ISASS Research. ISASS Research Grants support basic and applied clinical science research focusing on the advancement of spine surgery for improved patient care. 100% of donations are applied to unbiased, independent research focusing on the advancement of spine surgery. ISASS Research Grants fund research that is not directly undertaken by corporate or other profit-seeking entities due to issues with commercial viability or conficts of interest but answer important questions for the spine surgery specialty.
ISASS grants are awarded to applications selected by the ISASS Research Committee to qualified spine surgery specialists. These grants are funded by tax deductible donations to the ISASS Research Fund and the ISASS Spine Research Endowment Fund.
Research Grant Information
Applying for a Research Grant
What types of funding are available?
ISASS offers research grants and young investigator grants in the categories of clinical and basic science.
How are applications evaluated and awarded?
The number and amount of awards each year is determined by the funds collected and the approval of the specific applications by the ISASS Research Committee. Recommendations are forwarded to the Research Council and then to the Executive Committee for approval.
Who can apply for research grants?
ISASS is an international organization. Applicants in the spine surgery specialty from any location are qualified to apply for a grant or fellowship. Local grant regulations may apply and must be evaluated by the applicant prior to submitting an application.
How are awards recipients notified?
Notifications will be sent via e-mail to the principle investigator or contact person named in the application process.
General Application Guidelines
- Any spine surgery related proposal will be considered.
- Any qualified applicant in any spine surgery specialty will be considered.
- International applicants are welcome to apply.
- Medical residents are eligible with the condition that they have a mentor/faculty support to work with them.
- ISASS encourages new investigators to apply.
- Any principal investigator or co-investigator that receives a research grant from ISASS will not be eligible to apply for grant funding until three years after the date of the previous award.
- Multiple grants will not be funded simultaneously to any principal investigator or coinvestigator. The Letter of Proposal may be submitted in only one category; not multiple categories.
- There is no limit to the amount that may be requested for funding.
- Funds are for work to be performed or works in progress, not works already completed.
- ISASS does not support research for independent manufacturers, industry development or personal business financial gain.
- All correspondence will be sent to the principal investigator. It is the responsibility of the principal investigator to provide information to co-investigators.
- Grants are awarded for one to two years at the discretion of the Research Committee.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to have mentors or other senior researchers review Letters of Proposal and any Invited Grant Application before submission to ISASS.
- All projects are required to be completed within three years.
- All fellowship applicants and invited grant applicants are required to submit a conflict of interest disclosure.
- Cost-sharing of projects is encouraged. Please list other funding institutions/organizations and amount requested and/or awarded.
- Funding will not be considered for applicants who:
- Are excluded from federally funded health care programs. (See the HHS Office of the Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals and Entities at http://oig.hhs.gov/exclusions/index.asp).
- Are debarred by the FDA. See FDA Debarment List at http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/FDADebarmentList/default.htm.
How to Apply
Download and complete the application form (Microsoft Word format):
Completed applications can be e-mailed to Kristy Radcliffe (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mailed to the ISASS offices at:
2397 Waterbury Circle
Aurora, IL 60504
Please direct all questions regarding Letter of Proposal/Invited Research Grant or Clinical/Research Traveling Fellowship Application to Kristy Radcliffe (email@example.com).
Information for Donors
Thank you for your decision to support ISASS Research projects. Your contribution is greatly appreciated. There are two funds that donors may choose, the ISASS Research Fund and the ISASS Research Endowment Fund. These purpose of each of the Funds are detailed below. For both funds, 100% of donations are applied to unbiased, independent research focusing on the advancement of spine surgery.
ISASS Research Fund
The ISASS Research Fund collects donations to support research projects each year from applications selected by the ISASS Research Committee. The ISASS Research Fund will be used to support basic and applied clinical science focusing on the advancement of spine surgery.
Your completely tax deductible donation to the ISASS Research fund will allow us to continue vital research that is necessary to further the advancement spine surgery for better patient care. There is a critical need for unbiased, independent research and ISASS is dedicated to funding these worthwhile grants but needs your help!
Please consider giving to the ISASS Research Fund today to support ISASS' research grants and traveling fellowships. Your total donation will go to research. ISASS dedicates 100% of the donations to the Research Fund directly to funding research projects.
ISASS Spine Research Endowment Fund
To ensure future funding, ISASS has developed the ISASS Research Endowment Fund. Donations to this Fund are applied as needed to grants that exceed funds available via the ISASS Research Fund.
Your completely tax deductible donation to the ISASS Research Endowment Fund will allow us to continue to fund the vital research that is necessary to further the advancement of spinal surgery over time via endowment.
How to Donate
If you would like to contribute funds to support ISASS Research, there are currently two ways to donate. Please contact Kristy Radcliffe at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to making a donation if you have any questions.
Send a Check
2323 Cheshire Drive
Aurora, Il 60502
Call Kristy Radcliffe at +1.630.375.1432.
Online donation via credit card is coming soon.